Saturday, April 2, 2011

Movie Snob in Action

So over the last week I saw two very different movies, Sucker Punch and Rango. One thing I enjoy doing the most is critiquing the things I've just spent an arm and a leg to sit through, though I've admittedly found a new theater recently, the Cinebarre off of 104th and Grant in Thornton, which only charges $5 for movies Monday-Thursday, so movie going isn't the same eye-gouging experience as it is at other theaters. On to the reviews! Mild spoilers.

Sucker Punch
Directed by Zack Snyder (300, Watchmen) and starring Emily Browning, Abby Cornish and Jena Malone. I'll be blunt. I did not enjoy it. The cinematography and graphics were interesting, but overall the fight scenes were the same things we've been seeing since the first Matrix movie. And for a movie revolving around chicks in tight costumes kicking butt, that doesn't bode well. The plot is thin and the performances were so-so. A lot of up close shots of Emily Browning looking all porcelain with her fake eyelashes and doll hair. And half the freaking premise of the movie is that she can mesmerize men with her dancing, but not once do you actually see it. Not to mention we basically get "incepted" again because it's a dream within a dream.

                                    Rango
This is a movie about a reptile (voiced by Johnny Depp) who gets separated from his owners and ends up pretending to be a small town old West sheriff in the desert. My sentiments unfortunately carry over to this movie as well. It had weird animation, which I guess was supposed to be part of it's "thing", but it was kinda graphic for a kid's flick. Which I know is the new selling point to get parents to take the offspring to the movies is the promise that it will be entertaining for both parties, but this didn't feel like the case. It had a LOT of grown-up references, which wasn't it's downfall, but didn't make the movie more appealing. I just felt no real emotion towards it, it made me chuckle a bit, but I was pretty meh about the whole thing.



I hope the upcoming movies will be better than the spring movies thus far. Although, I did really enjoy Paul.

2 comments:

  1. I really liked Rango a whole lot. I think this is because I grew up with westerns and loved the countless homages and references. I was honestly glad to see an animated (I use that term lightly)film which wasn't by Dreamworks or Pixar.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe I expected more from Nickelodeon, I watched pretty much only their network when I was growing up, and this just fell short for me. But thanks for the input.

    ReplyDelete